mas LaTeX resources
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Identifying symbols
- Mailing lists
- Output viewers
- Online tutorials
- Online services
- User groups
- Web fora
- Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List by Scott Pakin [link to A4 PDF on a CTAN mirror server].
- Unofficial LaTeX reference manual for LaTeX 2ε, updated to, at least, October 2015.
- comp.text.tex (Google feed) Usenet group for TeX and LaTeX
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Software and Package Archives and Catalogues
- CTAN — The Comprehensive TeX Archive Network: definitive resources on TeX and LaTeX. Most mirrors do not offer https.
- TUG’s TeX Resources on the Web
- LaTeX Font Catalogue: free fonts for LaTeX.
- CTAN free Math font survey.
- TeXblog by Stefan Kottwitz, author of LaTeX Beginner’s Guide
- Some TeX Developments by Joseph Wright
- LaTeX Alive by Will Robertson
- LaTeX for Humans looks at the use of LaTeX within the humanities.
- texample.net/community aggregator
- TUG TeX Live for GNU/Linux, Mac and Windows
- GNU/Linux only
- pandoc, developed byJohn MacFarlane, is a general markup converter. Pandoc can convert documents
in markdown, reStructuredText, textile, HTML, DocBook, LaTeX, MediaWiki markup, TWiki markup, OPML, Emacs
Org-Mode, Txt2Tags, Microsoft Word docx, LibreOffice ODT, EPUB, or Haddock markup to HTML formats (XHTML,
HTML5, and HTML slide shows using Slidy, reveal.js, Slideous, S5, or DZSlides); Word processor formats
(Microsoft Word docx, OpenOffice/LibreOffice ODT, OpenDocument XML); Ebooks (EPUB version 2 or 3,
FictionBook2); Documentation formats (DocBook, TEI Simple, GNU TexInfo, Groff man pages, Haddock markup);
InDesign ICML page layout format; OPML outline format; TeX formats (LaTeX, ConTeXt, LaTeX Beamer slides); PDF
via LaTeX; Lightweight markup formats (Markdown including CommonMark, reStructuredText, AsciiDoc, MediaWiki
markup, DokuWiki markup, Emacs Org-Mode, Textile). Custom writers can be written in lua. Pandoc understands a
number of useful markdown syntax extensions, including LaTeX math.
All available on Ubuntu 18.04 via apt or Synaptic
- PDF. Cross-platform viewers are discussed on the PDF viewer website, https://pdfreaders.org/
- Scott Pakin’s comprehensive symbol list on CTAN
- DeTeXify symbol recognition available on-line and as a free or paid Android app
- Symbol lookup app by Nicola Talbot that maps Unicode symbols to LaTeX command names.
- Untangling character sets and Unicode blocks by Nathan Willis, . [LWN subscriber-only content]
- W3C app that gives Unicode names and codes together with HTML entities and LaTeX names, where appropriate.
- Alexander Baran-Harper’s eleven-part YouTube series on LaTeX
- Short Course on LaTeX for Maths, Chapter 1, appendices and index from George Grätzer’s “More Math into LaTeX”, 4th edition. There are accompanying .mov videos, also available in the info/Math_into_LaTeX-4 directory of CTAN together with sample code, downloadable as a .zip file.
- The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e, English edition from CTAN, written by Tobias Oetiker
- Dickimaw LaTeX resources by Dr Nicola L C Talbot, including seven volumes of tutorial books on LaTeX. The first three are available as paperback books: LaTeX for Complete Novices, Using LaTeX to Write a PhD Thesis and LaTeX for Administrative Work. The volumes are published under the GNU Free Documentation Licence
- VerbTex LaTeX editor for Android, also for IOS and Windows 8, works in local mode and with the Verbosus online LaTeX editor. Both have free and paid offerings
- Overleaf from Writelatex Limited is accessed from a web browser. A free tier offers 1GB total storage divided between unlimited projects with up to 60 files each
- ShareLaTeX online LaTeX editor offers a free tier
- The BBC has published short films about the history of seven glyphs: ampersand (&), asperand (@), interrobang, manicule, octothorpe (#), first emoticon, and pilcrow.
- Libertinus is a fork of Linux Libertine by Khaled Hosny. It adds Libertinus Math, an OpenType font with a MATH table and so suitable for use with XeTeX and LuaTeX.
- Lucida design and characteristics on the Bigelow and Holmes blog
- Online glossary of typographical terms by Janie Kliever. Well-illustrated introduction to the terms.
- XITS OpenType implementation of STIX fonts with math support by Khaled Hosny.
- Practical Typography online book by Matthew Butterick. Comprehensive, accessible guide to typography, especially on the web from a font designer. Only available as an online book supported by reader donations.
- LaTeX the product and the LaTeX3 project
- LaTeX search finds LaTeX equations in Springer journals
- Dr Partha’s LaTeX downloads including his hack-to-learn book Teach Yourself LaTeX
- LaTeX2e unofficial reference manual
- LuaTeX web site
- mtheme beamer theme by Matthias Vogelgesang.
- Poster design using the tikzposter class from Educational Research Techniques, May 2018.
- Zeeba TV produce and distribute videos of sessions at TeX User Group conferences